lunes, 15 de octubre de 2007

d. de leche...?

So, I just want to know, what's the deal with Dulce de Leche? It's in every dessert that I've eaten here. I'm not complaining. It's really good. And for those of you who have tried Haagen Dazs brand Dulce de Leche ice cream back at home and think you know what I'm talking about, I'm letting you know that you don't. It's different here; it's much thicker and sweeter.

Sarah would be the first to agree. She says it's much sweeter here too, to the point where she won't eat it. When I show her a cookie, oozing with delectably delicious dulce de leche, she literally shudders because she knows how her mouth/body react to eating something so sweet. Of course she's trying to keep her aversion to Dulce de Leche a secret. She's afraid her distaste for one of Argentina's national pastimes (eating d. de leche) might get her deported. Well, hopefully the Argentine government doesn't know about this blog because, if we haven't already made some typically ignorant American remarks, we're bound to cause a stir eventually. "Que me dices? Es verdad? A ella no le gusta dulce de leche? Dios mio, que lastima! Es Americana, seguro." Wait until we start talking about futbol and the soon-to-be president, Cristina Kirchner. When we leave for Uruguay intending to get our passports re-stamped they won't let us back in.

At any rate, our main goal Saturday morning was to return to Sarah's old stomping grounds, and enjoy some cafe and a few fine treats at Las Violetas on Rivadavia. So we set out walking towards the Almagro neighborhood with big eyes and empty stomachs. Las Violetas is one of the older cafes in Buenos Aires, dating back to the 19th century. The cafe, which has a grand salon-like interior with large windows and a very high ceiling, is run by waiters wearing white jackets and bow ties and thick black moustaches. At Sarah's recommendation we ordered the Maria Cala breakfast, which for only $30 (pesos) would make Corky, my beloved lab, full. The tray came piled to the brim with ham and cheese sandwiches, toasts, jams, and, of course, a selection of eight different ways of eating dulce de leche. It's in everything here.


Yummm! We struggled to finish as much as we could. This included a cafe con leche and some freshly squeezed orange juice. But, alas, it was just too much. Plus, half of the deserts were filled with d. de leche and I was on my own. We did a good job though. The toughest part was leaving food on that plate. God I wish I could have some of those desserts right now.

Sarah kept begging me to eat the little dulce de leche taco, which was essentially 96% d. de leche. We have a small photo sequence to demonstrate the struggle to finish that little candy. Keep in mind, this was after a plate full of d. de leche candies and ham sandwiches.




That was hard to swallow! Overall, it was a great day, good food, good coffee, and shared with a good companion.

I got an ice cream sundae yesterday, and to avoid sharing any, I had it topped with dulce de leche. That's my secret. All this chat about dulce de leche is making me crave it. I'm going to go look for some.

4 comentarios:

Unknown dijo...

hi guys!!

i'm loving your blog, though it makes me envious of your adventures (especially the culinary ones). glad you made it safely and seem to be having lots of fun.. miss ya!

also, how does this thing know my name? :-\ hehe

Marce dijo...

hey, I just found your blog and i´m loving it, it´s something quite peculiar to see your own city through the eyes of a foreigner. As for the dulce de leche obsession, it´s just the way it is, I mostly love it, except for cases like the one you just showed in the pictures (it´s called "pañuelito de dulce de leche", aka little dulce de leche handkerchief)... it just gets way too sweet when it´s just dulce de leche and a little bit of something else. Tell Sarah to try a "Torta Rogel", she´d just die of sugar overdose! (puff pastry-style sheets of dough, like 15 of them, with dulce de leche in the middle and topped with meringue).

sarah dijo...

hola marce, muchas gracias por leyendo nuestro blog... Me alegro que alguien afuera de nuestras mamas estan leyendo :)
Espero que el blog sigue interesante y divertido para ti, como conocemos mas y mas esta hermosa ciudad...

emily - I miss you too!! The reason the blog knows your name is that you have a gmail account, and google knows EVERYTHING...

Zoe dijo...

*Gasp* I am seething, just a little bit, with envy as I sit reading your blog. Not that I love ham, or dulce de leche, in particular.... But I'm overjoyed to hear that you guys are having such a good time, and that you're so good at recording it for the rest of us! I might have to stop reading the blog lest I abandon this (somewhat God-forsaken at the current time) region of the world and come running to seek refuge in your rainy, rosy, alcoholic, candy-oozing paradise ;)