sábado, 3 de noviembre de 2007

Comida Peruana

In the spirit of Dick (see entry below), and his ignorance, I think it's time to learn about our new favorite Peruvian place. And also, I figure that I should probably write about this delicious restaurant we tried last night, before we find ourselves at another one and begin to forget what fun we had at the first. That's basically all we've been doing this last week; eating good food. But for me, that's the pleasure of traveling.

So after starving ourselves until about 21:30, we brought out the Lonely Planet and decided to choose a restaurant. Sarah had been craving arroz con frijoles since we got here, and I still hadn't had decent Peruvian since I visited in, when was that, 2000? At any rate, after a little bit of research (we were really starving so the decision wasn't too difficult) we taxied out to Congresso for some Peruvian at Status, at Virrey Cevallos 178. Awesome choice.

The place was a bit crowded, with tables justo al lado, but there was still enough room for the camarero get to us.

We began with the Ceviche Mixto totally Peruvian style, just the way I remember, seasoned with lemon juice and various spices and of course, two tall Pisco Sours with egg white and all. The ceviche even came with those little fresh corn nut things they include with everything.

The ceviche was quite filling, but as Sarah and I looked around, the main dishes looked so enticing that we opted for more, much more. Sarah took the arroz y frijoles con bistec (which may have just satisfied her rice and bean craving temporarily) and I went for my personal Peruvian fav, the Lomo Saltado, a plate filled with strips of marinated lamb, french fries, and sauteed onions and peppers, and of course, rice. We couldn't have been much happier.
And the dinner was incredibly reasonable-- 70 pesos for more food than we could eat and good strong drink (and a nice tip : ).

We're definitely going back to Status. Viva Peru.

No hay comentarios.: