viernes, 21 de diciembre de 2007

Pieces of People I love


Well well well... I'm somewhat sorry to be writing this, but I am officially back home. I returned yesterday morning and even slept in my large comfortable bed last night. But, as always, it is an interesting feeling to come home to a place you know so well.


Although I only spent 10 weeks in Argentina--not long enough to be considered an expat--I did have a crazy good time, and even what I am considering a life changing experience. I've traveled before. I've even lived in Barcelona, Spain and Lund, Sweden for periods during my college years. But Buenos Aires has been something different.


As I write this entry, I'm listening to the fabulous argentine-pop duo sensation, Los Alfajores and drinking mate. In 10 short weeks, I picked up a few things that I think will stick with me for a long time.


In the 24 hours that Ive been back, Ive noticed so many differences from my life in Buenos Aires.


For example, plastic shopping bags aren't used for the trash here. In fact, they don't have much use, although we all still save them. I guess I use them for picking up my dogs' shit. But the quantity of trash we produce here seems to be so much greater, that a small shopping bag isn't big enough.


Its hard not to notice how much we drive here in the United States. I hadnt driven (minus the Corsa in Patagonia) at all during my stay in Argentina. In fact I hadnt hardly been in a car that wasnt a taxi.


When I greet men, i dont have to go through the awkward, Do we kiss or not? feeling, for better or for worse.


Im back to spending dollars, not pesos. But I find myself converting prices into pesos, and being like "holy shit, did i really just spend $25 pesos on lunch?" What choice do I have?


But after living and breathing the expat life, i sorely miss my expat-compatriots. Without trying, they infected me with the DIY (do it yourself) attitude, and Im taking advantage of this renewed inspiration. Im working on a zine/scrapbook from my life/experiences in Buenos Aires, to be released soon.


And without a blink of an eye, my life is back to where it was before I left. The only thing that's changed is me. And that's enough to make it all worth while, even if I spent all the money I had saved up in the process.


I miss Los Alfajores, mindful media, Julia, Mike, Marina, Sarah, hamchunks, the apt on Paraguay y Salguero, Once, Carolina (most amazing find!), Gordo, Juan, the feria de entrecasa, Fratello! and empanadas. And no Mike, hot-pockets are not the same. Dont come home, Sarah. I need a place to stay when I return. And by the way, it's really cold here.


Peace, love, and happiness.



1 comentario:

sarah dijo...

Oh Guille, we miss you too. If I was missing home, your reminder that UnitedStatesians don't kiss on the cheek when they meet was enough to remind me how much I love it here. So many good memories of hamchunks, fred, juana (molina & mary j.) and more and more...
Besos